APPENDIX TO PART I: As Chronicled by the Newspapers
First church erected ................... 1894
Corner-stone of cathedral laid ......... 1904
Cathedral to be dedicated .............. 1906
Two million dollars was set aside for the building of this
addition to The First Church of Christ, Scientist, and the
money was used in giving Boston an edifice that is a
marvel of architectural beauty. But one church in the
country exceeds it in seating capacity, and, while vaster
sums of money were spent in other instances, never was
a more artistic effect reached.
This new temple, begun nearly two years ago, will in
its simple grandeur surpass any church edifice erected
in this city. Notwithstanding its enormous size, it is so
proportionately built that its massiveness is unnoticed
in the graceful outlines.
Built in the Italian Renaissance style, the interior of
this church is carried out with the end in view of impressing
the audiences with the beauty and strength of the design.
The great auditorium, with its high-domed ceiling, supported
on four arches springing from the tops of great
stone piers, contains about one mile and a half of pews.
The dome surmounting the building is more than twice
the size of the dome on the State House, having a diameter
of eighty-two feet and a height of fifty-one feet.
The top of the dome is two hundred and twenty-four feet
above the street, and reaches an altitude twenty-nine feet
higher than that of the State House.
The old church at the corner of Falmouth and Norway
Streets, with a seating capacity of twelve hundred, built
twelve years ago, will remain as it was, and Mrs. Eddy's
famous room will be undisturbed.
The Readers' platform is of a beautiful foreign marble,
and the color scheme for all the auditorium is of a warm
gray, to harmonize with the Bedford stone which enters
so largely into the interior finish.
The great organ is placed back of the Readers' platform
and above the Readers' special rooms. It has an architectural
stone screen and contributes not a little to the
imposing effect of the interior.
Bedford stone and marble form the interior finish, with
elaborate plaster work for the great arches and ceilings.
The floors of the first story are of marble.
There are twelve exits and seven broad marble stairways,
the latter framed of iron and finished with bronze,
marble, and Bedford stone.
Bronze is used in the lighting fixtures, and the pews and
principal woodwork are of mahogany.
The church is unusually well lighted, and one of the
extraordinary features is the eight bronze chains, each
suspending seventy-two lamps, each lamp of thirty-two
Where ceiling or roof and side walls come together no
sharp angles are visible, such meetings presenting an oval
and dome appearance and forming a gently curved and
panelled surface, whereon are placed inscriptions illustrative
of the faith of Christian Science.
Two large marble plates with Scripture quotations are
also placed on the two sides of the organ.
Everywhere within the building where conditions permitted
it pure white marble was used, and the hammer
and chisel of the sculptor added magnificent carvings to
the rich beauty of the interior.
The auditorium contains seven galleries, two on either
side and three at the back, yet not a single pillar or post
anywhere in the vast space interrupts the view of the
platform from any seat.
Another unusual feature is the foyer, where five thousand