Books by Mary Baker Eddy

page 790

Mrs. Glover's fare to New York City, where she was
met and taken to her father's home by her brother George.
. . . Her position was an embarrassing one.  She was a
grown woman, with a child, but entirely without means
of support. . . . Mrs. Glover made only one effort at
self-support.  For a brief season she taught school."
   My first husband, Major George W. Glover, resided in
Charleston, S. C.  While on a business trip to Wilmington,
N. C., he was suddenly seized with yellow fever and
died in about nine days.  I was with him on this trip.
He took with him the usual amount of money he would
need on such an excursion.  At his decease I was surrounded
by friends, and their provisions in my behalf were
most tender.  The Governor of the State and his staff,
with a long procession, followed the remains of my beloved
one to the cemetery.  The Free Masons selected
my escort, who took me to my father's home in Tilton,
N. H.  My salary for writing gave me ample support.
I did open an infant school, but it was for the purpose of
starting that educational system in New Hampshire.
   The rhyme attributed to me by McClure's Magazine is

MY 313

not mine, but is, I understand, a paraphrase of a silly
song of years ago.  Correctly quoted, it is as follows, so
I have been told: -

        Go to Jane Glover,
        Tell her I love her;
        By the light of the moon
        I will go to her.

   The various stories told by McClure's Magazine about
my father spreading the road in front of his house with
tan-bark and straw, and about persons being hired to rock
me, I am ignorant of.  Nor do I remember any such stuff
as Dr. Patterson driving into Franklin, N. H., with a
couch or cradle for me in his wagon.  I only know that
my father and mother did everything they could think of
to help me when I was ill.
   I was never "given to long and lonely wanderings,
especially at night," as stated by McClure's Magazine.  I
was always accompanied by some responsible individual
when I took an evening walk, but I seldom took one.  I
have always consistently declared that I was not a medium
for spirits.  I never was especially interested in the
Shakers, never "dabbled in mesmerism," never was "an
amateur clairvoyant," nor did "the superstitious country
folk frequently" seek my advice.  I never went
into a trance to describe scenes far away, as McClure's
Magazine says.
   My oldest sister dearly loved me, but I wounded her
pride when I adopted Christian Science, and to a Baker
that was a sorry offence.  I was obliged to be parted
from my son, because after my father's second marriage
my little boy was not welcome in my father's house.

MY 314

   McClure's Magazine calls Dr. Daniel Patterson, my
second husband, "an itinerant dentist."  It says that
after my marriage we "lived for a short time at Tilton,
then moved to Franklin. . . .  During the following nine
years the Pattersons led a roving existence.  The doctor
practised in several towns, from Tilton to North Groton
and then to Rumney."  When I was married to him, Dr.
Daniel Patterson was located in Franklin, N. H.  He had
the degree D.D.S., was a popular man, and considered a
rarely skilful dentist.  He bought a place in North Groton,
which he fancied, for a summer home.  At that time he
owned a house in Franklin, N. H.
   Although, as McClure's Magazine claims, the court

Next Page

|| - page index - || - chapter index - || - download - || - Exit - ||





 (c) Copyright 1998 - Rolf Witzsche
Published by Cygni Communications Ltd. North Vancouver, Canada